We’re well and truly into winter but if you want to hit the mountains for some skiing, snowboarding or just to make a snowman, you better do it quickly.
Some snow deets:
New Zealand’s Southern Alps are a grand series of rugged mountain chains extending the length of the South Island. The volcanic peaks of the North Island’s vast central plateau provide a spectacular backdrop for snow sports.
Whether it’s for a family holiday or adventure sports, New Zealand has a choice of ski fields and winter resorts that will surely please your inner snow bunny!
There are four key areas in NZ for enjoying the snow:
- Queenstown is New Zealand’s best known winter holiday destination. The local ski areas are Coronet Peak and The Remarkables.
- Wanaka is close to the four ski areas of Cardrona, Treble Cone, Snow Farm and Snow Park with terrain for skiers and snowboarders of all levels.
- Mount Hutt ski area in Canterbury – enjoys the longest snow season. It’s a popular destination for locals and visitors who gather at the town of Methven when not on the slopes or enjoying off-piste heli-ski adventures on private high country farms.
- -In the North Island, you have Whakapapa and Turoa ski areas on the active volcano Mt Ruapehu
Looking for a resort?
- In the North island try National Park Village & Ohakune
- In the South Island Queenstown in renowned for its world class cuisine, nightlife & great sightseeing.
- You can also stay in Wanaka on the shores of Lake Wanaka, which is perfect to get to the 4 snow areas.