Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
Preparing the Cupcakes:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12-cup muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
2. Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Place the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk in a bowl, then whisk (by hand or with an electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly among the cupcake cases.
3. Bake both pans together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
4. The cupcakes will keep in a cool place for up to 2 days.
Ingredients for the Decoration:
- 700g (1¾ tubs) Betty Crocker™ Velvety Vanilla Icing
- Orange, green and purple food colouring pastes or gels- About 55 edible candy eyeballs
- 1 small tube black writing icing
Colouring the icing:
1. Reserve 100g of the frosting and divide the rest equally between 3 bowls (200g in each).
2. Use the food colouring pastes or gels to colour each bowl of icing bright orange, green or purple.
1. Frost 12 cupcakes with the coloured frostings (4 in each colour).
2. Spoon the reserved uncoloured frosting into a disposable piping bag and snip off the end.
3. Pipe the frosting over each cupcake in zig-zag lines to resemble bandages.
4. Attach 2 eyeballs to each cupcake.
1. Fit 3 disposable piping bags with small star or grass/hair piping nozzles.
2. Spoon 1 colour of the remaining frostings into each bag.
3. Pipe the frostings onto the 12 remaining cupcakes to look like monster’s fur and to give funny features such as spiky hair..
4. Dot each cupcake with 2-3 eyeballs.
5. Use the black writing icing to pipe mouths and eyebrows on some of the cupcakes.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen workbench. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover the surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Fudge Frosting and/or Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.
- Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details.
- Be as creative as you like and have fun!