Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 3 extra large eggs
Preparing the Cupcakes:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12-hole muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
2. Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Put the cake mix in a large mixing bowl and add the oil, water and eggs. Whisk (by hand or with an electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
3. Bake both pans together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
4. The cupcakes will keep in a cool place for up to 2 days.
Ingredients for the Decoration:
- 100g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 200g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- 8 dark chocolate digestive thins, cut in half with a serrated knife
- 16 edible eyeballs
- 16 red heart-shaped sugar sprinkles
- 2 small tubes black writing icing
- Orange food colouring paste or gel
- 1 small tube green writing
1. Frost 8 cupcakes with the chocolate fudge frosting, smoothing with a small palette knife.
2. Push 2 digestive think halves into each cupcake to form wings.
3. Gently attach 2 eyeballs to each cupcake and 2 heart-shaped sprinkles (pointed-side out) to resemble fangs.
1. Frost 8 cupcakes with half of the vanilla frosting, smoothing with a small palette knife.
2. Use 1 tube black writing icing to pipe spooky big eyes, dots for nostrils and a smiling skeleton mouth on each cupcake.
1. Use the orange food colouring paste or gel to colour the rest of the vanilla frosting bright orange.
2. Frost 8 cupcakes with the orange frosting, using the tip of a palette knife to create lines on the icing to resemble the ridges of a pumpkin.
3. Use the remaining tube of black writing icing to pipe a Halloween pumpkin mouth, nose and eyes on each cupcake.
4. Use the tube of green writing icing to pipe a green stalk on each cupcake.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen workbench. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover the surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Fudge Frosting and/or Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.
- Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details.
- Be as creative as you like and have fun!