Read on for directions to make these Ghoulish Treats!
Ingredients for the Brownies:
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Fudge Chocolate Brownie Mix
-125g butter, melted
- 2 extra large egg
Preparing the Brownies:1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20cm square shallow cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Open the brownie box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Mix the brownie mix, butter and eggs together in a bowl until well blended. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a round-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the pan; about 30 minutes.
3. 3. Lift the brownie from the pan using the baking paper and cut in half. Cut 1 half into 8 squares. Cut the other half into 4 rectangles about 4cm x 7cm (see diagram). You will have a strip of brownie left over from this half to discard or eat!
5.The brownies will keep for 2-3 days in a cool place.
Ingredients for the Decoration
- 30g (about 1 heaped tablespoon) Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 8 large white chocolate buttons
- 8 dark chocolate drops
- 4 mini orange jelly beans
- 2 mini chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, cut into quarters
- 80g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- 8 edible eyeballs
- Green food colouring paste or gel
- 8 red sugar-coated mini chocolate beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
- 1 small tube black writing icing
- 4 short pieces liquorice, halved
1. Roughly swirl the chocolate fudge frosting over 4 square brownies with the tip of a small palette knife.
2. For the eyes, place 2 white chocolate buttons on each brownie, then attach 2 dark chocolate drops to the buttons with a tiny dot of any remaining chocolate frosting.
3. Attach 1 mini jelly bean to each brownie to resemble beaks.
4. Place 2 peanut butter cup quarters, cut-side down, at the top of each brownie for eyebrows.
Halloween Mummy Brownies
1. Spoon 30g vanilla frosting into a small disposable piping bag and snip off the end.
2. Pipe the frosting over the remaining 4 square brownies in zig-zag lines to resemble bandages.
3. Attach 2 eyeballs to each brownie.
1. Place remaining vanilla frosting in a bowl and use the green food colouring paste or gel to colour the remaining vanilla frosting bright green. Spread over the 4 brownie rectangles.
2. Place 2 chocolate beans on each frosted brownie for eyes.
3. Sprinkle the tops of 2 of the brownies with chocolate sprinkles for hair.
4. Dot the eyes with black writing icing for pupils and use the icing to pipe mouths, hair and stitches on the faces.
5. Push 2 pieces of liquorice into the side of each brownie for bolts.
Background Decorating Tips
- Choose a smooth flat surface on which to create your background, such as a large chopping board, baking tray or even the kitchen workbench. (Note: make sure it is a clean and food safe surface or cover the surface with a sheet of baking paper before you begin.)
- Spoon Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Fudge Frosting and/or Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting (coloured with food colouring paste or gel, as desired) into piping bags fitted with medium writing nozzles. Pipe background features from the story onto your chosen surface.
- Use sweets, crushed biscuits, cake crumbs, fruit, etc. to create additional details.
- Be as creative as you like and have fun!