Salted Caramel Shortbread and Chocolate Tart
Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
With a crisp Betty Crocker™ Salted Caramel Shortbread crust and a creamy chocolate ganache filling, this dessert is ideal for treating yourself with delicious indulgence.
All You Need Is ...
For the shortbread base
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Salted Caramel Shortbread Mix
- 120g butter, softened
For the chocolate ganache filling and decoration
- 125g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 30g unsalted butter
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons salted caramel sauce
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20cm round, loose-bottomed, fluted flan pan (about 2-3cm deep).
- Make the shortbread as directed on the box using the butter. Press the shortbread mix into the base and all the way up the sides of the flan pan using clean hands. Smooth over the surface of the dough with the back of a spoon to make sure the shortbread is evenly spread.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool in the pan, then carefully remove from the pan and transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the chocolate ganache filling, melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove the bowl from the pan and stir in 150ml of the cream to make a smooth and thick chocolate ganache.
- Spoon the ganache into the shortbread case and level the surface with a small palette knife. Leave in a cool place for 1 hour or until the ganache is firm.
- To decorate, whip the remaining cream in a bowl until holding soft peaks. Drop small dollops of the cream around the edge of the tart. Drizzle over the salted caramel sauce. Serve in slices.
- You can bake the shortbread crust up to a day in advance. Fill with ganache and decorate on the day of eating.
- To speed up the setting time for the ganache, pop the tart in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Gently heat the caramel sauce in the microwave if you want a thinner drizzle.