End of the Rainbow Cupcakes
Prep Time: 55 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 50 Minutes
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Make a baking session with the kids extra-special with these fabulous rainbow-themed cupcakes – all you need is a Betty Crocker™ Rainbow Chip Party Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Creamy Deluxe™ frosting.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Rainbow Chip Party Cake Mix
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 80g butter, melted, or 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk or water
For the decoration
- 130g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Flavoured Frosting
- Blue, pink and yellow food colouring pastes or gels
- 1 teaspoon rainbow sprinkles
- 6 rainbow sour straps lollies, halved widthways to make 12 x 6cm short straps
- 36 mini white marshmallows, halved (about 20g)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with 12 paper muffin cases.
- Make the cake batter as directed on the box using the eggs, butter (or oil) and milk or water. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the sachet of frosting (included with the cake mix) with the vanilla frosting in a bowl until smooth. Divide the frosting evenly between three bowls. Beat in a little blue, pink or yellow food colouring paste or gel into each bowl to colour the frosting.
- Spread the frostings over the top of the cupcakes with a small palette knife (4 cupcakes for each colour). Sprinkle each one with a few multicoloured cake sprinkles.
- Arch one rainbow sour strap over each cupcake, pressing gently into the frosting. Add 3 halved mini marshmallows at each side of the rainbow sour strap to resemble fluffy clouds.
- The unfrosted cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Instead of the mini marshmallows, pipe or spoon a little vanilla frosting to resemble the clouds, if preferred.