Rainbow Party Cake
Prep Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Kids will love helping to make and decorate this colourful cake. It makes a perfect birthday celebration treat – just add candles!
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Rainbow Chip Party Cake Mix
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 80g butter, melted, or 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk or water
For the decoration
- 530g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Flavoured Frosting
- Pink, yellow and blue food colouring pastes or gels
- 16 white marshmallows
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 23cm spring form cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Make the cake batter as directed on the box using the eggs, butter (or oil) and milk or water. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut the cake in half down the centre to make 2 equal semi-circles. Use the sachet of frosting (included with the cake mix) to sandwich the two semi-circles together to form an arched rainbow-shaped cake.
- Place the cake cut-side down on a cake board or serving plate. Spread 100g of the vanilla frosting all over the cake in a thin layer to seal in the crumbs.
- Place 200g of the remaining frosting in a bowl and colour with pink food colouring paste or gel. Colour another 130g of the frosting with the yellow food colouring paste or gel. Colour the remaining 100g of the frosting with the blue food colouring paste or gel.
- Spread about two-thirds of the pink frosting over the curved top of the cake. Use a small palette or round-bladed knife to spread the yellow, blue and remaining pink frosting in decreasing curves over each flat side of the cake, finishing with a small arch of yellow.
- Arrange the marshmallows at the ‘rainbow ends’ of the cake to resemble fluffy clouds. Add birthday candles, if you like.
- The cake can be made the day before decorating. Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Once decorated, the cake will keep for 2-3 days.
- To make this cake extra-special, add some matching pink, blue and yellow candies or any other lollies of your choice. Press them gently into the frosting.