Total Time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Servings: 36 cupcakes
Add a twist of vintage beauty to these lighter than air fairy cakes. Our simple recipe will make delightful little vanilla fairy cakes topped with mouth-watering buttercream icing and pretty fondant flowers.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 180ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
Topping and Filling
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- 1 tsp blue gel food colouring
- 1 tsp pink gel food colouring
- 400g white/pink ready to roll fondant icing
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas Mark 4 and line the fairy cake tins with paper cases.
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and Vanilla Cake Mix gently together and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into your cupcake tins. You could use an ice cream scoop to help pour an even mixture into each case.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, then cool on a wire rack.
- Divide the Vanilla Frosting into 2 bowls and colour each bowl with the food colouring, mixing thoroughly. Spoon each into a separate piping bag with star nozzle.
- Pipe the icing onto the fairy cakes, starting in the middle then working your way to the outside in a spiral and finishing up in the centre on top. Place to one side.
- Create the flowers by taking 8g of the fondant icing and roll out into a short log. Trim the ends and discard, then cut into 3 discs, about 3mm thick. Roll each disc out to about a 2cm diameter circle with a rolling pin.
- Roll one of the discs up tightly to create the centre of your flower. Wrap the second petal over the seam of the first disc. Gently curl the top edge of the petal down. Continue to layer up the discs, creating the flower.
- Once all petals are added, pinch the bottom of the flower together firmly and neaten the base with a knife to get a flat area. Repeat with the fondant icing in both colours to make 36 flowers. Set aside for 3-4 h.