Halloween Pumpkin Brownies
Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
These pumpkin face brownies are super scary sweet treats for the Halloween trick or treaters!
All You Need Is ...
For the brownie
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Frosted Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 extra large eggs
For the decoration
- 200g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- Orange food colouring paste or gel
- 1 small tube black writing icing
- 1 small tube green writing icing
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20cm square shallow cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Open the brownie box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Mix the brownie mix, butter and eggs together in a bowl until well blended. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a round-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the pan; about 30 minutes.
- Lift the brownie from the pan using the baking paper. Cut the brownie into 16 squares.
- Place the frosting in a small bowl and use the orange food colouring paste or gel to colour the frosting bright orange.
- Spread equal amounts of frosting onto each brownie, using the tip of a small palette knife to swirl the frosting into a pumpkin shape.
- Pipe a Halloween pumpkin mouth, nose and eyes on each brownie with some of the black writing icing. Use the green writing icing to pipe a green stalk on each brownie. Serve immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 2-3 days.
- You may need to use quite a lot of food colouring paste or gel to get a really vibrant colour to the frosting. Add a little at a time and beat well before adding more. If you can’t find orange food colouring or gel, mix red and yellow to get the desired colour.
- To make round pumpkin faces use a 4-5cm round cookie cutter to stamp 16 brownies out of the slab of brownie. Any leftover bits are a treat for nibbling when finishing the decorations!