Blueberry Lemon Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours
A tangy lemon-flavored cake filled with vanilla frosting and topped with fresh blueberries in syrup – it’s the perfect combo!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 3 extra large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
Filling and Topping
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 50ml plus 1 tablespoon water
- 25g caster sugar
- 300g fresh blueberries
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160C for fan-forced ovens). Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round sandwich pans and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Mix the cake mix, butter, milk, and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (do not eat batter as it contains raw eggs). Fold in the lemon zest. Divide between the prepared pans and gently level the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the blueberry topping, mix arrowroot and 1 tablespoon water together in a small bowl; set aside. Heat the sugar and 50ml water in a medium saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Add the blueberries and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the arrowroot mixture and simmer, stirring for 1 minute until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Mix the sachet of frosting for the cake mix with the tub of frosting in a medium bowl until smooth. Using a palette knife, spread some of the frosting over the top of one cold cake and spoon over 4 tablespoons of the blueberries. Place the second cake on top, pressing down gently. Spread a thin layer of some of the remaining frosting around the sides of the cake to seal in the crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Spread the rest of the frosting around the sides and top of the cake. Spoon the remaining blueberries on top – don’t worry if some of the syrup drips down the side of the cake. Slice to serve.
- Store this cake in the fridge for up to 3 days. Allow to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
- If you are making this cake in advance then only top with the blueberries and syrup just before serving.