Prep Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
These cute Christmas elves are a great recipe to get the kids involved, put some Christmas songs on and get into the spirit of it all!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- Eggs, butter and milk called for on the cake mix box
- 150g dark or milk chocolate chips
For the decoration
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- 2 teaspoons green food colouring paste or gel
- 24 round ice cream cones
- 3 tablespoons red sprinkles
- 24 large cashew nuts, halved
- Edible pink or gold glitter spray or shimmer powder
- 48 edible candy eyeballs
- Edible gold glitter spray or shimmer powder
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12 cupcake trays with brown cupcake cases.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Make up the cake mix as directed on the cake mix box using the eggs, butter and milk, then stir in the chocolate chips. Bake and cool as directed on the cake mix box.
- For the decoration, spoon 1 tub of the vanilla frosting into a bowl and colour with green food colouring (see Tip). Spoon the remaining frosting into a disposable piping bag and snip off the end (leaving a 1cm round hole). Pipe a circle of the uncoloured frosting around the outside edge of each cupcake, leaving the centre free.
- Using a small palette knife spread the green frosting over the ice cream cones and dip the top of each cone into the sprinkles to give a red border around the top edge. Invert each cone onto a cupcake.
- For ears, spray the cashew nuts with the pink glitter or roll in shimmer powder and arrange either side of the cones in the frosting. Add 2 eyeballs, pushing gently into the vanilla frosting, and spray or dust the top of each cone with gold edible glitter for the finishing touch. Eat immediately or keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Food colourings all differ in strength, so try colouring the frosting with 1 teaspoon to begin with and add more if you need or want a stronger colour.
- Mix it up and do some elves with red hats and green trim.
- You will need to hold a small section of the cone when you are frosting it, so once it is on the cupcake, carefully ice over those parts to complete the coverage.
- In place of the brown cupcake cases, try green, red or white cases for an additional festive twist.