Gingerbread and Chocolate Christmas Cookies
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Magically transform vanilla cake mix into these spiced festive cookies dipped in Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Frosting – great for sharing.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 2 extra large eggs
- 300g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Frosting
- 100g Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
Betty's Easy Steps
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Place the cake mix in a bowl and stir in the ginger and cinnamon. Add the butter, black treacle and eggs and beat with a wooden spoon to make a firm dough. Roll out the dough between 2 large sheets of baking paper to 7mm thickness (about 30cm square). Slide onto large baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Peel off the top sheet of paper from the dough and using small star and heart shaped cutters (each about 5cm) stamp out 10 stars and 10 hearts. Place well spaced on the baking sheets. Gather the remaining dough into a ball then divide into 10 pieces, roll and flatten into 5cm diameter rounds. Place on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until pale golden and set. Leave on the trays for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate frosting in a microwave proof bowl and heat on High for 20-30 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth. Dip half of each cookie into the frosting to coat (See Tip) and place on a wire rack. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes until set.
- Place the vanilla frosting in a microwave-proof bowl and heat on high for 5 seconds until melted. Stir until smooth then spoon into a disposable piping bag fitted with a fine writing nozzle. Pipe zig-zag lines of frosting over each cookie. Leave to set. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 2 days.
- If you prefer, pipe names or festive decorations on the plain cookies with the chocolate or vanilla frostings.
- When dipping the cookies in the frosting, allow the excess frosting to drip back into the bowl. If the frosting begins to thicken and set before you’ve dipped all the cookies, microwave on High for 5-10 seconds.
- The frosting will soften the biscuits over time, so eat on the day or the next day. If you keep for longer the biscuits are still delicious but they will have a softer texture.