Happy Birthday Marshmallow Cupcakes
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes
Marshmallows go from mundane to marvellous in these beautiful cupcakes! They’re conveniently prepared with cake mix and ready-to-spread frosting.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
For the decoration
- 1 1/2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- Canola cooking oil spray
- 30-40 pink and white marshmallows
- Pink, cream, yellow and white (mixed) 100s and 1000s
- 24 birthday candles
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with paper cupcake cases. Make, bake and cool the cake mix as directed for cupcakes on the box. Make up the cake mix as directed on the box, using the eggs, butter and milk. Divide among the cupcake cases and bake as directed for cupcakes on the box.
- Using a small palette knife, swirl the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- Spray the blades of kitchen scissors with cooking oil spray and cut each marshmallow on the diagonal into 3-4 slices pinching each slice gently at one end to make a petal shape (see Tip).
- Sprinkle one cut side of each marshmallow ‘petal’ with 100s and 1000s (do in batches of 5, using just pink, cream or yellow and white for each batch). Arrange 5 ‘petals’ of a single colour slightly overlapping on the top of each cupcake to create a flower. Place a birthday candle in the centre of each flower.
- If you have only one muffin tray, cover and chill the rest of the cake mix while baking the first batch. Add an extra 1-2 minutes to the baking time for the second batch.
- If you can’t find pastel-coloured sprinkles, use another shape sprinkle of your choice, or visit a cake decorating shop.
- Marshmallows can differ in shape and size so to get even-sized ‘petals’ you may need a few extra.