Chocolate Cherry Torte with Meringue Swirls
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Chocolate torte, cherries, cream and meringues topped off with a drizzle of rich and indulgent chocolate ganache – this dessert is a chocoholics dream come true!
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 225g cherries, pitted
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Torte Cake Mix
- 75g butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 8 ready-made mini meringues
- 125g mascarpone, softened
- 75ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens). Grease and line an 18cm round loose-bottomed cake tin or spring form tin and line the base with baking paper. Roughly chop 120g of the cherries.
- Make up the chocolate torte mix as directed on the box with the butter and eggs. Fold in the chopped cherries. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and gently level the surface. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the surface is set and dry to the touch. Cool in the tin for 30 minutes then transfer to a serving plate and leave to cool completely (see Tips).
- Meanwhile, heat the ganache pouch as directed on the box. Cut off the end of the pouch and squeeze the melted ganache into a shallow microwave proof bowl. Dip the flat base of each meringue in the ganache and place on a wire rack covered with a sheet of baking paper. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes until set. Cover the remaining ganache in the bowl and set aside.
- Place the mascarpone in a bowl and gradually beat in the cream with a wooden spoon. Spread the mascarpone cream over the chocolate torte and dust with some of the cocoa powder. Arrange the meringues around the edge of the torte and pile the remaining cherries in the centre. Dust with the remaining cocoa powder.
- Heat the remaining ganache in the microwave on Full Power in 10 second bursts until warmed and runny. Serve the torte sliced and drizzled with the warm ganache.
- You can bake the chocolate torte a day in advance. Once cooled, cover and chill in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 45 minutes before topping and serving.
- Add a splash of cherry liqueur or brandy to the mascarpone cream, if you like.