May Day Baskets
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Turn basic cupcakes into candy-topped baskets. Kids of all ages will love them!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- Strawberry fizz straws or red strawberry licorice twists
- Assorted small sweets or jelly beans
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line 2 (12-hole) muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (do not eat batter as it contains raw eggs).
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly into the paper cases, to just over half full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven, cool in the pans for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes. Create two opposite holes at the edge of each cupcake to insert the handles into. Push the fizz straw or licorice twists down into the holes and then decorate with the sweets. Store in an airtight box until serving.
- Tint white frosting with yellow, blue, pink or green food colour for colourful May baskets.
- Rekindle the childhood tradition of giving May baskets. Make a batch of cupcakes and deliver them to your neighbors and friends.
- Like a lot of frosting on your cupcakes? Purchase an additional tub of Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting to add to the recipe.