Total Time: 2 Hours 25 Minutes
Brownies get dressed for a party with layers of peppermint cream and decadent chocolate ganache.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box of Betty Crocker™ Triple Chocolate brownie mix
- Eggs & butter as called for on brownie mix box
- 1/4 cup full cream
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup full cream
- 170 g cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Betty's Easy Steps
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9 inch or 33cm x 23cm pan with foil, letting foil hang 2 inches over ends of pan. Grease bottom and sides of foil with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Make brownie batter as directed on box for cakelike brownies. Spread in pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat 1/4 cup full cream over low heat until hot but not boiling; remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips until melted. Let stand at room temperature about 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- In medium bowl, beat 2/3 cup full cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form; set aside. In medium bowl, beat remaining Peppermint Cream ingredients on low speed until blended; beat on medium speed until smooth. Gently stir whipped cream into cream cheese mixture; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using foil to lift, remove brownies from pan, and peel foil away. Cut brownies crosswise to make 3 equal rectangles. Trim sides if desired.
- To assemble torte, place 1 brownie rectangle on serving platter; spread with 3/4 cup of the Peppermint Cream. Top with second brownie rectangle; spread with Chocolate Ganache. Top with third brownie rectangle; spread with remaining Peppermint Cream. Refrigerate uncovered until serving.
- Meanwhile, place a piece of baking paper on cookie sheet. Draw 4-5 cm tree outlines or trace around 5 cm tree-shaped cookie cutter, leaving some space between each tree. Center toothpick at bottom of each tree outline. In a saucepan, heat 1 cup chocolate chips and the shortening over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted. Pour chocolate into decorating bag fitted with plain tip or resealable plastic bag; snip one corner. Starting at top of each tree outline, pipe chocolate over tree and end of toothpick within tree; fill center with random, squiggly lines. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens. Gently remove trees from paper; refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle torte with candies and arrange Chocolate Trees on top. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Steps to make Chocolate Christmas Trees
- For a sparkling finish, sprinkle white decorator sugar crystals over the torte.
- Short on time. You can replace the Chocolate Ganache with our Betty Creamy Deluxe Chocolate Fudge Frosting and you can also replace the Peppermint Cream with Betty Crocker Creamy Deluxe Cream Cheese Flavoured Frosting adding the peppermint essence.