Tall, Dark and Stout Chocolate Layer Cake
Total Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Rich layers of chocolate cake, combined with stout beer and caramel make for an extra-dreamy dessert indulgence.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180ml) stout beer
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Chocolate Frosting
- 6 tablespoons caramel topping
- 3 x 36g chewy caramel chocolate bars, cut into chunks
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line and grease 3 x 20cm round cake pans.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Mix the cake mix, eggs, oil and beer in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (do not eat batter as it contains raw eggs).
- Divide the cake mixture evenly into the 3 greased and lined cake pans.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, and then gently remove from pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place 1 cake onto a platter or serving plate. Spread 1/3 of the frosting over cake. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the caramel topping. Top with another cake, 1/2 of the remaining frosting and remaining 3 tablespoons of caramel. Top with remaining cake and remaining frosting. Garnish with chopped caramel chocolate bars.
- For even more chocolate flavor, use a chocolate stout beer.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake for an even more indulgent and delicious finish.