Chocolate Chip Marble Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Take this chocolate chip marble cake round to share with friends.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 225g dark chocolate chips
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Grease and line a 20cm round cake pan at least 5cm deep.
- Combine 100g of the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the dry cake mix in a small bowl.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (do not eat batter as it contains raw eggs). Stir in the cake mix dusted chocolate chips.
- Place 75g of the remaining chocolate chips into a microwaveable proof bowl and cook for 1 minute on medium, until just melting. Cook for another 1 minute and stir. If not fully melted, continue for another 30 seconds.
- Divide the cake batter between 2 bowls, with 2/3 in one bowl and 1/3 in another. Mix the melted chocolate chips into the bowl with 1/3 of the batter then dollop alternating spoonfuls of the cake batters randomly into the cake pan. Cut through the mixture with a knife, creating S shaped curves, creating a marbling effect. Only cut through 4 to 5 times, otherwise you will end up without very defined marbling.
- Place into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then gently remove from pan onto a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and decorate with the remaining chocolate chips.
- If you prefer to bake with oil and water – Replace butter for 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil. Replace milk for 3/4 cup (180ml) water.
- If you can’t find chocolate chips, you can use chopped dark chocolate instead.
- Why not use milk and white chocolate chips as well as dark and then you will have a Triple chocolate chip marble cake!
- Only cut through the cake mixture 4-5 times to ensure defined marbling of the cake.