Christmas Trifle with Summer Fruits
Total Time: 3 Hours 40 Minutes
Serve up this impressive tropical fruit trifle for a Christmas dessert with extra wow factor. It’s perfect for feeding a crowd and is so easy to make.
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 80g butter, melted (or 1/3 cup or 80ml vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk or water
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 tub Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Cream Cheese Flavoured Frosting
- 450ml thickened cream
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, stones removed and flesh sliced
- 2 large ripe peaches, halved, stones removed and sliced
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 3 passion fruit, halved
- 350ml tropical fruit juice
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20cm round cake pan (at least 5cm deep) and line the base with baking paper. Make, bake and cool the cake as directed on the box using the butter, milk and eggs. Save the frosting sachet for another use.
- Place the cream cheese frosting in a large mixing bowl and, using an electric mixer, gradually whisk in the cream. Continue whisking for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and holds soft peaks when the beaters are lifted. Cut the cold cake into 2cm cubes.
- Scatter half the cake cubes in the base of a 3 litre serving bowl. Add just over a third of the mango and peach slices and pomegranate seeds. Spoon over the pulp and seeds from 1 passion fruit and pour over half the tropical fruit juice (see Tips). Gently spoon over half the frosting mixture.
- Repeat the layers of cake cubes, fruit and juice once more. Gently spoon over the remaining frosting mixture. Arrange all the remaining fruit on top. Chill the trifle in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Pour the juice in a slow trickle over the cake and fruit layers to allow it to soak into the cake cubes. For an adult version, replace half the juice with orange or white rum coconut liqueur.
- You can make the trifle up to a day in advance but only add the top layer of fruit just before serving. Keep the trifle and fruit, both covered with cling wrap, in the fridge until 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.