Gluten-Free Bunny Cupcakes
Prep Time: 2 Hours 10 Minutes
Servings: 24 cupcakes
You’re just a hop away from making these deliciously sweet Gluten-Free Bunny Cupcakes. With Betty Crocker™ gluten free cake mix and vanilla frosting, they’re even easier to make.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Devil’s Food Gluten Free Cake Mix
- Eggs, water and vegetable oil called for on the cake mix box
For the decoration
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- Gluten-free pink food colouring paste or gel
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 12 gluten-free white marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons pink glimmer sugar or pink sugar crystals
- 48 gluten-free blue mini sugar-coated chocolate beans
- 24 gluten-free pink mini sugar-coated chocolate beans
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free chocolate strands
- 1 small tube black writing icing
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan forced ovens). Line 2 x 12-hole muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Make up the cake mix as directed on the box using the eggs, water and oil. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake both pans together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
- To decorate, put 1 1/4 tubs (550g) of the frosting in a large bowl and colour with a little pink food colouring paste or gel to give a pale pink colour. Spread the cupcakes with the pink frosting. Use a teaspoon to top each with a smaller swirl of the remaining uncoloured frosting.
- Wipe the blades of a pair of kitchen scissors with a little oil and cut each marshmallow in half widthways through the thick middle, then cut each half in half again to make 4 bunny ear shapes from each marshmallow. Dip the cut sides of each ear into the pink glimmer sugar or sugar crystals to coat.
- Arrange 2 marshmallow ears onto the top of each bit of white frosting so they stand upright. Use the mini chocolate beans and chocolate strands to make bunny eyes, a nose and whiskers on each cupcake. Use the black writing icing to dot on the pupils of the eyes. Serve immediately and store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- If you have only one muffin pan, cover and chill half of the cake mixture while baking the first batch. After transferring the cooked cupcakes to the wire rack, cool the empty pan under cold running water, dry thoroughly, then add the remaining cupcake cases and bake the remaining cakes, adding 1-2 minutes to the bake time.
- Use writing icing to pipe the whiskers onto the cupcakes if you can’t find chocolate strands.
- Baking gluten free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.