Gluten-Free Sunflower Cupcakes
Prep Time: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Servings: 24 cupcakes
Bring a ray of sunshine to the table with these beautiful sunny gluten-free cupcakes. They are sure to brighten up anyone’s day.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Eggs, water and vegetable oil called for on the cake mix box
For the decoration
- 2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- Gluten-free yellow food colouring paste or gel
- 100g chocolate chips
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan forced ovens). Line 2 x 12-hole muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Make up the cake mix as directed on the box using the eggs, water and oil. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake both pans together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
- To decorate, put the frosting in a large bowl and colour with the yellow food colouring paste or gel to give a striking sunflower yellow colour (see Tips). Spread a thin layer of frosting over the cupcakes. Spoon half of the remaining frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle. Pipe 6 lines from the centre of each cupcake, out to the edge, making an evenly spaced, ‘spoke-like’ pattern on each. To create the petals, start in the centre and pipe a loop by going down 1 side of each spoke, turning at the edge of the cupcake and following the next spoke back into the centre. Repeat to create 6 loops, filling the piping bag with the remaining frosting, as required.
- Fill the centre of each cupcake with chocolate baking chips, pointed-side up. Serve immediately and store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- Food gels and colourings differ in intensity so use small amounts at first, adding more if necessary.
- Dark chocolate chips are the most effective for the centre of the sunflower but you can use milk chocolate chips if preferred.
- For an alternative centre to the cupcakes, try decorating with a halved blackberry, cut-side down.
- Baking gluten free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.