Lemon and Lime Cake
Total Time: 3 Hours 15 Minutes
This refreshing cake is packed with the zingy flavours of lemon and lime!
All You Need Is ...
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
For the topping
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 150ml double cream
- 125ml freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 large limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Lemon and lime slices, fresh strawberries and mint leaves, to decorate
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 33cm x 22cm rectangular cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Place the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk in a bowl, then whisk (by hand or using an electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Whisk in the lemon zest. Pour into the prepared pan and gently level the surface. Bake for 25-27 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- With the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes at 1-2cm intervals almost to the bottom of the cake, wiping the spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- To make the topping, stir the condensed milk, cream, lime juice and zest together in a bowl – the mixture will gradually thicken. Leave the cake in the pan, then spread two-thirds of the mixture all over the cake and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly over the surface, working back and forth to fill the holes. Spread the rest of the mixture over the top of the cake and swirl with a palette knife. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan using the baking paper. Slice into 15 servings and decorate each with lemon and lime slices, sliced strawberries and mint leaves. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Try adding a few drops of liquid green food colouring to the filling and topping for extra colour.