This blue Ombré cake recipe is perfect for any celebration, with delicious Betty Crocker™ vanilla frosting coloured in different shades of blue.
All You Need Is ...
- 2 packs Betty Crocker™ Super Moist Vanilla Cake Mix
- 160 ml vegetable oil, 2/3 cup
- 6 extra large free range eggs
- 360 ml water or milk
- 3 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe Vanilla Frosting
- Blue food colouring
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens).
- Mix the eggs, oil, water/milk and Vanilla Cake mix gently together, and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture evenly into your four well-greased 20cm round cake pans (or do two pans at a time).
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 22- 27 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans then cool on a cooling rack.
- Colour one tub of Vanilla frosting with Food Colouring in a dark blue. Colour the second tub with a shade lighter than the first (use less food colouring). Finally leave the third tub without any colour. Add a dab of frosting in the middle of the cake board to keep the cake in position!
- Ice each of the sponges with a different coloured frosting, using ⅓ of the tub on each. Using the darkest colour on the bottom cake.
- Ice a thin even layer of the uncoloured frosting all over and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fill 3 disposable piping bags with the remaining ⅔ tub of each colour and snip off the ends with scissors. You are now ready to decorate your cake!
- Pipe The darkest frosting around the bottom ⅓ of the cake, the next blue around the middle ⅓ and the white around the top ⅓. Do this quite quickly, before a crust develops on the frosting!
- Spread the colours evenly around the sides and smooth with a palette knife. Don’t worry if they blend together, they are supposed to! Don't forget the top!
- Add texture to the cake by using the tip of the pallet knife to run grooves around the sides of the cake. Decorate with some flowers on the top...fabulous!
How to Make This Recipe
You can update your privacy settings to enable this content. Please enable all cookies to use this feature.