Red velvet lamington sheet cake
Lamingtons are a traditional dessert with chocolate and shredded coconut. How about we try to jazz up things a little bit and add a touch of red velvet to the recipe. This recipe calls for a delicious modern twist to the traditional lamington cake and uses Betty Crocker’s Red Velvet Cake Mix with your choice of either strawberry or raspberry jam.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal (optional)
- 1/2 cup (160g) raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup (40g) shredded coconut
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 30cm x 20cm lamington pan generously with butter.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box, replacing the water with buttermilk. Stir in the almond meal and pour in to the prepared pan. Dollop the jam over the top of the cake batter and swirl gently with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Leaving the cake in the pan, squeeze the frosting over the top of the warm cake and spread over the top. Scatter with the coconut. Serve warm, straight from the pan or allow to cool and enjoy at room temperature.
- This comforting cake with the flavours of lamingtons is equally delicious warm or allowed to cool to room temperature. For extra decadence, serve with a generous dollop of cream.
- This cake is perfect to serve straight from the pan – making it perfect to take to gatherings, or as a gift to the host.