St. Patrick’s Day Mint Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Showcase the Emerald Isle’s favourite colour on St Patrick’s Day with these minty cupcakes complete with a lavish swirl of delicious frosting.
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- Mint green food colouring drops or gel
- 6 round mint cream filled chocolate sandwich biscuits, cut into quarters, to decorate
For the frosting
- 2 1/2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint essence (see tip)
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12-cup muffin pans with green paper cupcake cases.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. Place the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk in a bowl, then whisk (by hand or with an electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Whisk in enough green food colouring drops or gel to give a fairly bright shade of green. Divide the mixture equally among the cupcake cases and bake for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely; about 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, beat the vanilla frosting and peppermint essence together in a large bowl. Spoon about half of the frosting into a large disposable piping bag fitted with a plain 1cm nozzle. Insert the tip of the nozzle into the centre of 1 cupcake, about halfway down. Gently squeeze the piping bag, pulling upward until the cupcake swells slightly and the filling comes to the top. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- Spoon the remaining frosting into the same piping bag and generously pipe swirls of frosting on top of the centre of each cupcake. Decorate each cupcake with a piece of biscuit to serve. Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the peppermint essence to the frosting then taste and, if you want a really minty flavour, add the rest.
- Take care when piping the frosting into the cupcakes that you don’t overfill them as they will crack.