Surprise Easter Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Every one of these Easter cupcakes has a hidden surprise inside, just bite into them to reveal the sweet treat!
All You Need Is ...
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 extra large eggs
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
For the filling and decorating
- 24 sugar-coated mini chocolate eggs
- 12 teaspoons sugar sprinkles (such as flowers)
- 2 1/2 tubs Betty Crocker™ Creamy Deluxe™ Vanilla Frosting
- Green, purple, pink and yellow food colouring gels
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 x 12-hole muffin pans with paper cupcake cases.
- Open the cake box, remove enclosed frosting sachet and reserve for another use. In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, eggs, butter and milk together, then whisk (by hand or using an electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly among the cupcake cases. Bake both pans together in the oven for 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out the centre of each cupcake, reserving each scooped out piece. Place a mini chocolate egg and a few sugar sprinkles inside each hollow (reserving some for decoration). Slice some of the cake off the bottoms of the reserved pieces, then place on top of the filling, pressing down gently to give a level surface to each cupcake.
- Divide the frosting equally among 4 bowls and beat in enough of each food colouring gel to give each frosting a different pastel colour. Fit a large plain or fluted piping nozzle to a disposable piping bag, and spoon in 1 colour of frosting. Pipe swirls or small blobs on top of 6 cupcakes. Repeat with the rest of the coloured frosting, removing the nozzle from the bag each time, washing it and placing in a new disposable bag.
- Sprinkle each frosted cupcake with the reserved sugar sprinkles. Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- You can fill the cupcakes with whatever small sweets you like – try mini jelly beans or mini sugar-coated chocolates.
- Spoon a little lemon curd into the hollow before adding the sweets for an extra sweet and tangy flavour.