Warm Caramel Apple Cake
Total Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Serve this yummy apple upside-down cake warm from the oven. It’s all made easier with Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix.
All You Need Is ...
- 115g unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 225g brown sugar
- 40g pecans, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 3 apples (200g) peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 3 extra large eggs
- 4 tablespoons ready-made caramel sauce, warmed
Betty's Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan-forced ovens).
- Put the butter, cream and sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Simmer for 1 minute then pour into the base of a 33 cm x 22 cm rectangular cake pan. Scatter over the chopped pecans and top with the apple slices.
- Mix the cake mix and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl, add the butter, milk, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (do not eat batter as it contains raw eggs). Spoon the mixture over the apples and gently level the surface with a spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for 41-44 minutes until golden, risen and just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a palette knife.
- Invert the cake onto a heatproof serving platter. Leave the pan on the cake for 1 minute to allow the caramel to drizzle over the cake then remove the pan.
- Serve warm, cut into pieces, each one topped with a small spoonful of vanilla frosting, chopped pecans and a drizzle of caramel topping.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg to the cake mix along with the cinnamon.
- Replace the apples with 3 peeled, cored and thinly sliced pears and add a teaspoon of almond extract to the cake mix instead of the ground cinnamon for a change of flavor.